Wednesday, December 1, 2010

We All Contribute

“Anything you’re good at contributes to happiness.”
― Bertrand Russell

It has taken me years to accept that my career path did not follow that of my brother (a doctor) or my sister (a lawyer).  I'm a mom. Yes, just a mom, as I always described myself.  My daughters are adults now living the lives they chose, hopefully influenced by our family's belief system.  I am very proud of them.  They are both teachers, one in elementary school and one in high school. They are able to contribute to the happiness of students, faculty, parents, and administrators every day because they are good at what they do.  As my mom skills became less necessary I felt a sense of  loss.  I had actually lost my job.  Of course I'm available when called upon but adult children like mine need very little assistance.  There are no unemployment benefits for moms with adult children.

I determined that my happiness was dependent on making other people happy and so began "Poppy Loves A Party".  The excitement of an order, the completion of a new design, and a serendipitous connection to the buyer bring me great joy. I smile at people I don't know, I talk to the cashier as though I've known her for years, and I always say thank you.  That's what I'm good at and if that brings happiness to others then I contribute to the world's happiness in my own odd little way. I hope my creations bring happiness to some of you.

What are you good at?  Give yourself a pat on the back.  You contribute to someone's happiness.

2 comments:

  1. So then I believe you will become a fabulous blogger...Your talent will be graciously hanging in many homes this holiday season. Some may actually be opening your items on Christmas morning,it makes you stop and think for a moment doesn't it...you brighten my days and I always look forward to our Email chats.
    Rebecca
    Oh and have you ever considered doing woodland animals, or perhaps a thatched cottage?
    You will have to excuse me with our new blanket of snow I am in a Grimm's fairy tale mood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next year there will be many more selections of designs. I didn't have a clue as to what I was getting into. By the way, a blanket of snow only puts me in a really bad, make evil creatures mood.

    ReplyDelete